Faith in Stewardship: Examples of the Possibilities
A regional scale opportunity
In recent years, Muslims have reviewed their faith direction to assess its guidance related to environmental stewardship – and found a wealth of support. Rather than try to rephrase it, it is best just to explore the following links to see the cohesion from high level spiritual advice down to regional and community level stewardship action.
See the excellent work of Khaleafa.com – a Muslim organization designed to “to reignite the discourse surrounding the Islamic approach to environmentalism and to draw upon the essence of these teachings, emphasizing the movement from a Canadian perspective.”
A community scale example
In 2015 Pope Francis provided his environmental encyclical, Laudato Si, which appealed to people around the world to work together to address the environmental and social justice issues. It gives inspiring guidance for tangible actions. Most parishes throughout the Catholic network have working groups of various kinds that do community work. One of those generic groups is the Catholic Women’s League. The following is a list of the recent environmental stewardship initiatives of one parish’s CWL. This is a classic illustration of what the United Nations Faith in Earth programme has identified as the motivation for collaboration between conservation organizations and Faith Based Organizations – there is a highly credible leadership and a well-orchestrated and time-perfected communication network from global to community level action.
Here are a couple of links to the higher level stewardship guidance:
- Pope Francis’ environmental encyclical Laudato si
St. John the Divine Catholic Women’s League Activities 2019-2021
- Bulletin inserts – (approximately weekly) for 3 years.
- 2019 topic: Enviro-Tips
- 2020 topic: Tree Talk
- 2021 topic: Biodiversity
- NOTE- many of these reference CCC initiatives e.g. GWGW
- Receptacles for non-flushables throughout the church
- Recycle bins in the church
- Outreach to neighbouring apartments re containers for Fats, Oils and Greases
- Pollinator Gardening – workshop for neighbourhood; garden planted at church (enlarged in 2021)
- Vegetable garden at the church produces products for St. Vincent de Paul’s food cupboard.
- Collection & recycling of hard-to-recycle materials (i.e. batteries, paints, electronics)
- YouTube videos re: electricity conservation; reducing plastics; water conservation; reducing food wastage; reducing clothing consumption; conservation gardening – pollinator garden – and a new video on gardening in April-May; do’s and don’t tips; and in partnership with church youth, outreach to Jean Vanier school and St. Jude’s school.
- Some of the specific You Tube Links:
- Bank swallow conservation - letter of support
- Guest Speaker Presentations to CWL members (from City of London)
- Planted a large tulip tree on Church property and a native tree at Westminister Ponds.