Carolinian Canada Giveaway Guidelines 2023
Start Tracking or Update by October 10, 2023 to be eligible!
Purpose: The Great Pawpaw Parade, joined by 20+ host organizations and communities, is dedicated to supporting passionate people growing Canada’s Biggest Wildlife Garden from Toronto to Windsor by sharing native plants.
Give-Away Overview: 100 Native Plants and 50 Garden Kit Give-Aways (details below). 20+ host organizations have joined the parade to help steward the plants and organizing pickup locations. Be a wildlife hero and grow a climate-smart yard. Start by tracking or updating your Healthy Garden Points with In the Zone, then fill out the Pawpaw Parade application to be “counted in”. All trackers submitted in 2023 are eligible and will enable you to access the Pawpaw Parade application form. Application form access ends October 10 at midnight. You will also be counted in Canada’s Biggest Wildlife Garden connecting nature from Toronto to Windsor and get free garden guides.
Eligibility: Track your garden with In the Zone and fill out the Pawpaw Parade giveaway module. All users who have submitted an In The Zone tracker in 2023 are eligible to submit a Pawpaw Parade Module application, ending October 10 at midnight. See other guidelines and conditions for further eligibility requirements.
Selection Process: Recipients will be identified throughout September and October 2023, unless otherwise indicated. Recipients will be selected by the Parade Selection Team based on Pawpaw Parade applications and In The Zone Tracker submissions. You will only be contacted if you are selected.
Conditions: Recipient agrees to pick up from their selected host and plant by October 2023 on land they own or manage in the Carolinian Zone; follow recommended planting instructions; do not plant in natural areas unless approved by an ecologist or Carolinian Canada; steward with care for minimum 3 years; update Tracker annually; share photos for educational purposes. (unless otherwise indicated in give-away details). Applicants agree to share their contact information with their selected host organization for purposes of arranging their pickup time/location.
Other Guidelines: The Pawpaw Parade is subject to Carolinian Canada general giveaway guidelines as well (see below).
Pawpaw Parade Giveaway Details
Pawpaw – 100 trees [Mixed pairs and singles (for lonely Pawpaws) based upon submissions and need]
- A small rare tree that is prized for its fruit, that has tones of mango and banana. It bears the largest native fruit in North America. It needs shade, regular watering and well-drained soil. A pair is required to produce fruit.
- for 2023, all Pawpaw giveaways will include a Garden Kit (see below)
Garden Kit giveaways ($50 value) – 50 kit giveaways, each including1:
- Native wildflower seeds (15g per kit)
- Instructions to grow your native seed garden
- Planning a Wildlife Garden brochure
- Native wildlife and plant bandana
- Native butterfly tote bag
- Native wildlife bookmark
- In The Zone Yard sign
- Butterfly sticker
- Thank you postcard
- Healthy Garden Points with In The Zone
1Contents may vary by availability
Pawpaw Parade Hosts will provide pick up locations for Pawpaws and Garden Kits. Selected participants will be contacted by Host organizations with pickup locaitons and times.
Host List Subject to Change
Garden kits will be mailed within the Carolinian Zone
All giveaways are on condition of availability. Comparable substitutes will be provided in the case of lack of availability.
- Includes Pawpaw Parade giveaways
- Includes Wild Garden Kit giveaways
- Other 'pop-up' giveaways may be added
Watch for limited-time pop-ups too.
You will need to track and/or update your garden to be eligible.
- A ‘garden’ can be any site that you own or manage e.g. yard, field, balcony, corporate lands, park – no natural features needed.
- The first time you use the Tracker you will be ‘registering’ your baseline garden. No native plants needed!
- If you have Tracked before, simply update your Tracker during the eligibility period.
The most recent tracker update for each site from May 1 to the close of each giveaway will be considered a current entry.
- You will be entered only once per site even if you update the Tracker multiple times
- If a site is tracked more than once by the same or different people, the most recent Tracker will be considered the entry for that site.
Update your Tracker every year for new give-aways as available. Subscribe to be the first to know.
Directors, employees and contractors of Carolinian Canada and their families living in the same household are not eligible.
Recipients will be identified throughout the eligibility time period of each giveaway. Recipients will be selected based on Tracker submission by the GROW Team unless otherwise indicated. You will only be contacted if you are selected.
Recipient agrees to the following conditions (unless otherwise indicated in the give-away details)
Notification: Recipients will be notified by email. If recipient fails to respond or take action, give-aways may be re-allocated.
Distribution: Recipient will work with organizers to receive give-aways within the Carolinian Zone using Covid-19 safety protocols. See below for distribution details.
Planting: Recipient will plant only on lands owned or managed by recipient in the Carolinian Zone; follow recommended planting instructions; do not plant in natural areas unless approved by an ecologist or Carolinian Canada; steward with care for minimum 3 years; update Tracker annually; share photos for educational purposes.
Outreach: Recipient agrees to have name and submitted story published unless otherwise arranged. We appreciate sharing of photos to accompany the story.
Follow Guidelines: Carolinian Canada has the ability to withdraw giveaways at its discretion if not satisfied that guidelines are followed.
Additional guidelines apply for Pawpaw Parade giveaways
Giveaway Distribution Methods
These methods of distribution will be used unless otherwise specified. Recipients must work with organizers to assist as needed. Failure to respond or pick-up if needed, may result in re-allocation of give-away. Distribution to points outside Carolinian Canada's capacity may be subject to fees.
- Large items (e.g. trees) – pick-up to be arranged with organizers using reasonable safety protocols
- Small items – by mail or courier
- Wildflower Kits – by mail when they become available in late fall
- Virtual items (e.g. gift certificates) – by email
- Consultation (e.g. garden design) – remotely by email, phone or video call with time limits. Recipient has option to cover travel fees for an on-site service, or extended time depending on availability.
- On-site services – to be arranged with organizers subject to time and location limits. Recipient has option to cover travel fees for an on-site service, or extended time depending on availability.
- Native plants – may be delayed until they are available (e.g. seasonal availability)